Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Missing Link and Why I Still Have Faith!

To those who read my blogs,

Please read this article: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/05/090519-missing-link-found.html

Have you read it? Good.

I do not care how many Missing Links are found, because it ill never shake my faith in God. A lot of Christians nowadays seem to be under this whole 'Seven Day Creation' thing where if God did not make the earth in seven days, then the Bible is lying. I am not one of them. Personally, I believe that God created the world, and how He did it is not something I care about particularly. the fact is, He did it. You cannot disprove God in anyway no matter how many missing links you find, because Genesis one was not written like a science text book, it was written as a poem. There are a lot of poetic features to Genesis 1 (the use of the number '7' for example) and therefore we should understand the chapter more as a parable written out for the ancient people than a step-by-step instruction manual for how God made the Earth.

So what if He used evolution to do it? Who cares! It's His choice, He's the God, He can do whatever He wants! Just because there is (or is not) a Missing Link, it does not take away from the fact that God created the world!

I have come to this conclusion, the only proof we have that God created the universe is the fact that the universe is here (there's a watch, so there must be a watch-maker, similarly, there is a universe, so there must be a universe maker). In theological terms, this is called the cosmological argument. Outside of that, there is nothing to prove God's existence except for personal interaction (talking to God) but that only proves Him to ourselves. No, we cannot prove God to anyone, and so there is no proof for anyone. There is also nothing that can disprove God. So because there is nothing to prove God, we need faith and that is what our salvation is based on, faith. Because God cannot be dis-proven, our faith is not stupid, because you can't prove He does not exist! Even if evolution is true (which I am not convinced it is nor do I think anyone will ever prove evolution true) it does not mean God does not exist. It just means He used something else to bring humans about.

Have faith, my readers, God is true!

- Joshua

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you bring up a great point by saying:

So what if He used evolution to do it? Who cares! It's His choice, He's the God, He can do whatever He wants! Just because there is (or is not) a Missing Link, it does not take away from the fact that God created the world!

Evolution doesn't discredit our God. It's only a point of discussion about how Creation came to be.

I think you take things a little too simplistic by blowing away the people who believe in the 7 Day Creation. In Jesus' own words, He declared the world was created in 7 days... so is Jesus lying? ^.^

The cosmological argument for God's existence is also only 1 of many arguments for God's existence. I came to realization of God's existence through the Teleological and the Ontological methods...
You make the statement to say outside of the cosmological argument, there is no proof of God's existence - by my mere introspection and thoughts on morality, irreducible complexity and the human condition, I know there is something greater than I am =)

Joshua T. Aitkenhead said...

Yeah, I should have cleared that up a bit. You see, outside of personal experience. Unfortunately, personal experience does not serve to prove anything to anyone anymore. I believe in God, and there are a lot of reasons for me to do so, but most of them came out of personal experience. The only way personal experience will win someone over is with given authority. I gain authority to speak into people's life only by being Christ-like to them and to others. The ontological argument is great, but it's hard for people to grasp. I am not familiar with the teleological argument... you're going to have to tell me.