Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Greatest Commandments

To those who read my blogs,

Have you ever insulted yourself? Have you ever said something really bad about you? Have you ever let what someone else said about you (as in something negative and untrue) become something you fully believe? Well here's what I have to say on that!

I was thinking about the greatest commandment because it is something that has always spoken to me since I became a Christian. Just so there is no confusion, here it is in the NASB: 37And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

38"This is the great and foremost commandment.

39"The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.'

40"On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

This is from Matthew 22:37-40.

Now the first greatest commandment is to Love God, and that seems like a no-brainer to me. God is good and He is worth loving. It is the second I want to speak on now!

Jesus says that we need to love one another as we do ourselves.
My question to you, the reader, is how do we love our neighbor if we do not love our self? I say it is impossible!

Before I continue, I will address something real quick. I am all about community. When I preach, even if it has nothing to do with community, I will mention the community of Christ. What I am saying here may seem like self absorbed garbage, but it's not.

The thing is, we need to realize the fundamental truth: that God loved us so much that He died on the cross for our sins. If we don't get that and insist on lowly prayers that call ourselves garbage or put ourselves to a very low standpoint, then we insult the person who loved us enough to both make us and die on a cross to save us. We need to take care of ourselves and know that we are worth something, or else we will not take proper care of others.

That's not to say that we are perfect and our sins are not really sins, because they are. Sinning is bad and we should not be doing it. Our sins are apart of us and make us dirty, but that does not change the fact that God loves you and you are worth something to Him, and to other people!

I hope this insight has helped you, the reader, out!

- Joshua

No comments: